FOR THOSE looking for a fast ferment, a little time spent during the preparation stage pays huge dividends in shortening the time for a ferment.
Here is my routine for a fast Vodka at very low cost with no carbon filtering or added clearing compounds.
Ingredients (for a 23 litre wash)
- 4kg Sugar
- 250g wheat bran
- 1 Multivitamin tablet
- Pinch Epson salts
- ½ tsp DAP
- Citric acid
- 50g bakers yeast
I source the bran from the local Stockfood Co ( 5kg bag for $6.50) however most supermarkets will have it as baking bran. This is not the All-Bran breakfast cereal but works out so much less expensive.
- In a large pot (5 litre or bigger) bring 1.7 to 2 litres of water to the boil (I boil it in the jug to save time)
- Add the 250g of bran, bring back to the boil then simmer for 30 minutes stirring from time to time
- Dissolve the sugar in warm water and add to the fermenter with cool water to bring quantity up to 20 litres.
- Add the crushed MV tab, Epsom salts and DAP.
- Once the bran has simmered for 30 mins, add it to the fermenter.
- I then adjust the pH to around 5 with the citric acid usually takes about ½ a tsp.
- Rehydrate the yeast in 100ml water and add to the mix. Making sure the start temp is below 30C
- Stir well ( I use a stick blender to thoroughly aerate it.)
Leave plenty of headroom as this takes off like a rocket. I use a 30l fermenter.
Do NOT seal for at least 24 hours as a thick foamy cap will form within an hour. I put it under an airlock only after 36 hrs so I can monitor progress.
This produces a fast ferment ( normally dry to .990 within 3 to 4 days). Rack off and allow to stand for a couple of days to clear before distilling.
I find this has a nice slightly wheaty taste and is much nicer than the TPW.