Single Malt Base By Paul MacKenzie
WE ALL know and love how easy it is to add one of Global Flavors’ spirit essences to our neutral spirits, but if you’d like to really get some good neutral, check out Home Distillers Club member Paul MacKenzie’s Single Malt base recipe.
- 1 kg glutinous rice
- 1 pkt Still Spirits Alpha Amylase enzymes
- 5 kg dextrose
- 20 ltrs filtered water (about)
- 25 gram pkt Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
- 1 litre commercial kale juice (V8)
- Cook rice, while hot, add enough warn water to make it liquid and 70°C, add enzymes and put the whole thing in a cooler bag/esky in the sun for 3 hours
- Combine everything, aerate well and ferment at 26°C for 3 weeks or so
- Slow pot still or run through the T500 at 65°C
- Water down to 40% add ¼ cup activated carbon per litre and mix once a day for 1 to 4 weeks
- Filter down to 5 microns and enjoy this amazing drink!